Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why does Nassau have 5 conferences. It seems like the majority of “varsity” teams are more like a middle school team. Scores are embarrassingly lopsided when up against good competition. Suffolk definitely has some of the same, but Nassau far more. Difference is that in Suffolk, some teams are blown out pretty much every game they play, but in say conference 5 of Nassau, some of the teams actually think they’re good, but never play any good teams. I don’t get it.

I'm not sure what your point is? The "top" ten teams are placed in Conference one. Next ten in Conference two and so on. It's not perfect, but it avoids lopsided conference games for the most part. And other than a few wacko parents no one in conf 5 that thinks they are good.

I don't understand Suffolk honestly. Why have Copiague play Commack? It's just awkward and embarassing and has no value for either team. Why not have top teams all play each other?

Unfortunately the way the girls rules are written one player can dominate a game and make all the difference. I'm not sure what the answer is but girls hs is hard to watch.

That’s why the individual STATS thing is a joke! In some of the conferences my grandma could rack up 200 pts!!! So, STATS is not a good indicator of picks for All Americans for the HIgh schools That is obviously not a good way to judge the talent. Someone who knows lacrosse needs to actually look at the tough conferences and actual match ups and see stats from the actually good matched up games! At this point it’s all Apples and Oranges. No comparisons.

It’s basically the same as college. Stats do matter. A lot. But strength of schedule also matters. A lot. Stat leaders that play tough schedules are awarded All-America honors. That’s how is works. Not that difficult to understand.

One would hope that’s how it works. LI girls High-school lacrosse is a little different than the college conferences. In College the better players (drafted to schools) are most likely going to be in the tougher conferences and play each other. Not true on LI. Players are all over the conferences based on their publics conference. The stats are not a good indicator of the best players. So, in high-school it should not be taking into account so much!

If you look at the stat point leaders, say top 20. In Nassau, I see 4 of them as AAs. In the Suffolk top 20, I’d say the same. That means the majority of Stat leaders are not actually the best players. Some of the better teams like Manhasset, Massapequa, BB, WM, don’t even have any girls on those lists, but will likely have AAs

Like the face guard queen? Gotta be able to get out of those according to the Newsday article!