One could be the devils advocate and say that they did grow the game. The excitement generated by the WPLL league was good! Many players probably did inspire a new generation of athletes. For me the issue was the rollout. I suppose they had to find a way to do it and so in their mind tying in the WPLL was they way to do to but at least in our area we had a flawed system. When you have high school coaches making the decisions and not an unbiased recorder you get the list that our region put out. Again though not sour grapes and honestly I don't know how one would even begin to do it! I know the process for baseball and soccer is very different, over a year period and takes in totality of play. This was essentially two tryouts.
Many people who attended the combine had very positive experiences for what it's worth. The u15 list does have a lot of great players so it's not taking away from them at all- but I think when they had that group of 70 and ran them through actual physical testing the field was immediately narrowed.
This is the same argument people have about the UA list every year in regions outside of the Midatlantic. When you have girls who are flying to California and West to make a team even though they live In other states I think that is a process that should be halted for example. In the end it all washes out it can be argued and looking at other sports "stars" at 15 don't always make it to being a star at 19. With the NCAA rules changed although it may give a girl some buzz to be on that list the real work comes over the next 2 years.