Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What about Ward Melville?

Good question. Why are they never one of the top programs? The boys team is in the mix every year. All of the other "Lacrosse Towns" have very strong boys and girls programs. Garden City, West Islip, Manhasset, Cold Spring Harbor even SWR has had success with both programs. I am very surprised they are not more like Garden City. GC Boys and Girls two of the best on Long Island every year. Ward Melville boys could be considered the best program on Long Island. Does not make sense to me.

I have zero direct knowledge of the SWR girls program other than they have had some very good players of recent years. To answer this question, I think two things are at play.

1. Is boy's lax and the parents are a different dynamic than girls lax and lax parents. Both have their positives and negatives. But having a successful girls program seems to be more difficult because the parents of girls lacrosse tend to have more emotion and vested concern (a little more helicopter parenting) why I am not totally sure, maybe it is a social-stigma that the girls need a voice or must be protected from all perceived threats not to mention the emotional side of girl sports and how the stigmas associated with status on the team (or perceived) the girls are more emotionally vested in. Where as the boys tend to connect that part of it and to a lesser extent feel/connect those emotions. The parents tend to be more involved and have more conflicts with coaches about lacrosse because of this than the boys.

2. The winning programs have consistency, a culture across the board and strong coaches who are able to wade this potential minefield consistently. Consistency is the key term, waiver once and makes exceptions to your rules and policies, then there is no coming back.