100% agree! As another parent of a 2020-I could have written this post.
My kid had 4 offers and took 7 unofficials Freshman year-the coaches were in no rebels and we're very thankful that our daughter took her time. We didn't think the rule would pass back in 2017 or if it did, the 2020s/2019s would have until August. The rule effective immediately was quite a shocker. The June 15th is a much better contact date than 9/1! My daughter did go to a few camps that were a waste of money. It would have been nice to talk to coaches over the summer and would be helpful to plan out camps, see who goes and watches at your tournaments, etc. Officials starting August 1 is great b/c the PSA can plan the visits and spread them out. We crammed all 5 officials in the month of september. Only one school put on pressure to commit--the rest told us to take the time needed and visit as many schools as needed. Getting to plan and spread out the officials would be very beneficial to kids. My girl ended up not getting to compete in her fall sport bc of all the visits. She also missed a ton of school. If she had more time, could have planned visits on teacher work days and holidays. In the end, my girl also ended up committing to a school that was not on the radar at all, but loves the school, great academics and got an awesome offer and is thrilled with her decision.