Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You couldn't be MORE wrong. Maybe some coaches think they know who they want but by in large--they want to see kids play MORE and not feel rushed to make a decision about a player.

Remember ONE of the reasons the college coaches wanted the rule change in the first place is because kids weren't panning out and late bloomers were getting missed. If you don't think most kids change for better or worse from 9th-11th grade--then you really have no idea what you are talking about.

As for managing phone calls....have you had a kid go through the process to know what that is like? If you have, then you would know that it is fun and exciting, but also time consuming and stressful as well. How do you think getting phone calls and having conversations with college coaches throughout the summer club season would impact the dynamic of your daughters club team? Think about THAT for a minute....

Agree with all of this.

My daughter is a 2020 whose club team got little exposure before fall of freshman year. The club she plays for is the best option in our area - no "top tier" clubs reasonably close - and we were not interested in the logistics of her playing for a team that wasn't local. We were also not interested in her emailing coaches and visiting colleges until after 8th grade....she was 13, after all. Once my daughter got exposure at fall recruiting tournaments her freshman year, she received a lot more interest from coaches including a number of top 20 programs. She sent many emails and had many phone calls (which required the extra step of scheduling times to call through the club coach) and some visits to schools that were most appealing to her. She found a school and lacrosse program that was a great all-around fit and committed prior to the rule change. Things worked out and we were comfortable with her decision, but I still think back to how crazy it was going through all that with a 14 year old.

Personally I think there should be no contact before or during freshman year. Let coaches have time to see more girls play and evaluate, and let players adjust to high school and play for a year without worrying so much about recruiting. I see the advantage of allowing contact (but no offers) during sophomore year so players and coaches can know where they stand with each other and prioritize which camps to attend, which players to watch more, etc.; but, there will be parents, clubs and college coaches who don't follow the rules. The line was crossed when recruiting crept into middle school. Some parents, club coaches and college coaches just couldn't help themselves, so now we have no contact at all until September 1st junior year.

Exactly. And the new proposal is only moving the contact date back 2.5 months at the END of 10th grade. The slowing down the process has been great for the girls. But this 2.5 months allows families to make more informed decisions on how to spend their time and money that summer. There are actually 3 proposals which the one-sided US Lacrosse Magazine fails to mention. The original proposal is to allow contact 6/15 but no campus visits or offers until 8/1. There is a second proposal to allow offers on 6/15 because of the difficulty in compliance monitoring whether coaches are making offers once contact is allowed but still no visits until 8/1. The third proposal is to change all other sports(Excluding basketball, football, baseball and hockey) to these new rules with the exception of lacrosse. I fully agree that the process needed to be slowed down. This still has a firm date of 6/15 instead of 9/1. It's 2.5 months earlier, not 2 years. I am really baffled by those that feel this is somehow detrimental to the players and their families.