Originally Posted by Anonymous
Sorry, I just do not get any of this nonsense about playing time. If everyone only considered going to a school where they were guaranteed to play no school would be able to field a team.

Pre-Covid average roster size at most D I programs was in the low to mid 30's, current roster size at least at the top schools is now 35 - 40 or so.
More competitive to get on the field due to larger rosters but in the end, most programs, "not just Maryland" play on average 16 - 17 players in competitive games (Syracuse & Northwestern play 20 plus even in very competitive 1 goal games.)

Below are the results 12 "one" goal games and the number of Players each team played in that game. (winning team on the left)

........... W --------------------- L ...................... the number listed is not the score, it's how many players played in the game.

Boston College 16 - North Carolina 17
Syracuse 21 - Northwestern 26
Navy 17 - Florida 16
Penn 14 - Hopkins 15
JMU 19 - High Point 14
Marist 18 - Vermont 19
Princeton 15 - Stony Brook 15
Fairfield 18 - Monmouth 16
Duke 18 - Maryland 16
Notre Dame 18 - Virginia 16
Drexel 16 - Towson 18
Elon 17 - Delaware 16

It doesn't matter if it is Maryland, High Point, Stony Brook, Drexel, or Penn, in competitive games teams average 16 - 17 players getting in the game. In less competitive game teams (including Maryland) play 20 plus players.

IMHO, athletes want to challenge themselves and compete, they do not want to drop down where they will not be challenged just so they can be the best player on the field. Now, if the player feels that they are in over their head that's a different story.

As far as developing players, maybe, just maybe the Maryland coach develops all of the players, you have to remember, all players are not equal so if the coach develops the weakest player on the team but also develops everyone else as well the weakest player may still be the weakest player.

At the end of the day, you can't have a program if you only have 16 or 17 players on the roster. It doesn't matter if it's Maryland or Marist, there are no guarantees and not everyone plays.
How can an athlete challenge themselves and compete if they NEVER see the field. There are girls that are "OK" with just being on the team and being a part of the practice squad with the hopes of eventually playing - but some don't get that chance.

They can challenge themselves and their teammates everyday in practice and in the weight room. Some will play, some will never play, it’s the same at every level in every sport.

Both of these responses back up the original poster. If you know you want to actually play all 4 years, pick a team or a division that will give you that opportunity. Maryland was only originally mentioned as an example because they are known for minimal subbing. Obviously most of the teams listed above do the same. With a post-Covid roster of 35-40 of ALL D1 level recruits, just know if you commit as a 22 or 23 that you probably will not see the field until your junior or senior year. Especially with such a large transfer portal. Every day there are more schools announcing new transfers into their programs. It's okay to be okay with just being on the practice squad and challenging their teammates in practice and in the weight room. It's also okay to play on a team where you will be one of the best players and play all 4 years. The original question was asking about recruiting and as a parent who has been through the process with a 2018 and 2022 DD, I have experienced it before and during covid. The college lacrosse landscape is very different for my 22 than it was for my 18 (who plays high level D1 lacrosse but will not be taking advantage of her 5th year next year because she already has a job lined up). However, my older daughter will not be telling her coach this until absolute necessary because she does not want to be unfairly punished for NOT taking her 5th year. She gets a lot of playing time now and is afraid that she will be penalized for not taking it.