my daughter is a 2020 who went on a handful of unofficial visits starting in 8th grade. At one point in March of 2017 just before they switched the rules she was very close to committing to a school because they told us the rules were changing and the door was going to close. My daughter decided she needed more time, and wasn't 100% sure. So she waited. Last spring she decided she wasn't going to do any camps, although she received general invites in the mail, and continued interest emails from schools to club. Midnight September 1st she got emails and calls from schools she really hadn't visited and considered, and ultimately committed a few weeks later to one of those schools, and we couldn't be happier.
As a parent who went through that process I wish we could have spoken to schools at the end of her sophomore year for a couple of reasons...1) there were schools she had hoped to hear from, and we considered spending the money to visit them, but with no idea how serious they would be we were wise to not spend the money (but others do and that's the catch with the schools $$$). 2) there were schools she heard from September 1 that she may have actually visited over the summer instead of cramming in 5 visits the first half of September (because they do play Fall sports and have schoolwork to do).
If they care about the kid, let them have the summertime to fit in some unrushed unofficial visits. Many kids are travelling for Lax anyway, some of these places can be on the way to and from the school. if you're a College coach and you really want a specific girl you can get that done AND still string along many others for the money grab camps.
In short, as a 2020 parent who just went through the circuit, July 1st seems reasonable