Originally Posted by Anonymous
Right on. Here are my well informed two cents having gone through the process...

PSA's need June to finish their sophomore years in the classroom. Last I checked, NY State schools are in session until June 25th. Do you want your child managing phone calls from college coaches when they are in the crunch time of end of the year projects and exams?

Conversations in June and July will equal offers and commitments sight unseen. Just you wait. A handful of college coaches and aggressive parents and club coaches will absolutely be trying to make this happen. Again, just you wait.

Let coaches evaluate all summer so they have the best handle on their needs and the talent out there in peace. Let PSA's play all summer long without having to manage phone calls and conversations with coaches.

Parents and PSA's DO YOUR RESEARCH. Ask your club and high school coach what level they think you have the potential to play at. Consider your academic standing--be realistic about what schools would be a good fit for you in that regard. Be smart about what camps and showcase events you CHOOSE to do. Remember no one is making your do anything...you have choices. You don't have to say yes to everything and anything.

Visits in August, when school isn't in session and the team isn't on campus will equal the same kind of uninformed decisions that 8th and 9th graders were making before the rule was put in place.

August is the only month of the year that is off for college coaches...first two weeks of the month are a dead period. I bet most won't even entertain visits in August.

Fall sports are an issue?? Talk to the college coaches about when you can and can't take visits based on your fall sport practice or game schedule. If a program is really interested in you, I can't imagine a college coach would want a PSA to miss an important practice or game for a visit to their school.

This is about finding the BEST match for PSA's and college programs. Getting to see the whole picture: academics, practice, team, coaches on a visit is the most critical piece to making an informed decision for BOTH PSA's and programs. If you have been through the recruiting process before, then you know that isn't happening in August.

Starting the recruiting process on September 1st is better for PSA's and the programs. Starting this process in September equals much better decisions and ultimately happier kids, families, programs.

The coaches know what they are doing here.

Disagree with the majority of what you're saying. By the end of Soph year, the coaches know who they want, they don't need another summer to watch, they've been watching since 8th grade. As for managing phone calls?? Give me a break.