Originally Posted by Anonymous
Please stop, you are making my head hurt. If you can not identify selfish play please step away from the keyboard. Selfish play takes many forms and hurts the team in many ways. Please go back to reading the stats in Newsday and believing that you now know something about the game. Also, please stop giving you daughters advice on how to play, doing so hurts her team.

Yes because your opinion of what selfish play is the
only correct
opinion. Get over yourself you are clueless and sound like the guy who just can’t stand it when someone scores more than your little Susie .
We have all had their deal with people like you who thinks every kid on the team except their own is being selfish .

Who are you responding to? The post that you quoted did not give an opinion yet you are attacking the poster. The post said "selfish play takes many forms" and that it (selfish play) "hurts the team in many ways". Do you disagree? Do you think selfish play helps the team? You then go on to bring up scoring and make another attack when the post said nothing about scoring. Go back on your medication take a class on reading comprehension.

First , if you cannot tell that the response is to the quoted previous statement you may want to put the bottle down.
Second, the quoted post is all opinion and if you cannot understand that you may want to get whoever your caregiver is to explain that to you.
Do I think selfish play helps a team ? Yes at times it does help a team, if you have a player who is a dominant player and they keep driving to the goal there are times it will help the team .I will make it simple for you ,if you have Michael Jordan on your team you want him to be selfish with the ball .
As far as the post saying nothing about scoring they mention stats in Newsday ,scoring is one of those stats you dope, so in reality they do mention scoring.
Please stop posting you just make yourself look more ignorant each time.

Yes the person gave opinion but did not give his/her opinion defining "selfish play". In fact it was stated that selfish play takes many forms and hurts the team in many ways. I believe the post was implying that knowing who scores the goals is not the same as understanding the game. Much like the arm chair quarterback, who has all the answers but in reality knows very little about the game. Scoring goals is not indicative of selfish play.

I think that your post has just illustrated one of the major problems with Girls HS Lacrosse. Many parents only see the goals. They can not distinguish the difference between a well orchestrated attack with all 7 players involved and one girl driving to the goal.
Another major problem is the lack of quality coaching. Good coaches will not tolerate selfish play. Lack of talent also creates issues. Put a strong goal scorer on a weak team with no depth and a bad coach and they have no choice to be selfish. But that Team will not win any championships.

The main issue is that most parents have no understanding of the game, all they see is the goal (but that does not stop them from coaching their daughter). Just like when they watch the Super Bowl, they will see Tom Brady throw a touchdown and many will think they understand football and can coach their son to be a quarterback. They have now idea of what the other players on the field should be doing or what their responsibilities are. They do not know what the QB' pre-snap reads are, they do not know if he audibled, they do not know how he will exploited the coverage, they do not know why he made the decision to target that receiver etc.. I do not know any of those things either but I don't sit up in the stands and yell throw the touchdown pass. Nor do I as, why is my son not the QB, why can't he throw the pass?

Based upon your comments it is evident that you value going to the goal above all else and that you have very little understanding of the game. Michael Jordan was not a selfish player and neither were his teammates. They worked together to win games, they wanted him taking the shots and they worked as a unit to get the job done. He also had many assists and steals, he hustled and played defense and he rarely turned the ball over (and when he did he hustled to get it back). Contrast that with a girl who only hustles when she is going to the goal and all she does when she does not have the ball is call for the ball. Watch as she does not communicate defensively or slide. Watch as she jogs to get back on D. Watch as she does not hustle while redefending. Watch her get in the way of her teammates when she doesn't have the ball. Watch her turn it over while trying to run through two or three defenders. Watch when she is out of position while off ball on both end s of the field. Watch all of the lazy BS lead to the other team scoring goals, watch as the player and the parents do not even understand that it is a problem and then watch them when little Susie scores a goal.... that is the only thing they will see.

Keep telling yourself and your daughter selfish play is a good thing. If she is going to play for a decent college program let me know how that works out for her.

Please tell the rest of the parents of the selfish players that their daughter is not Michael Jordan.

Actually you missed the point of several of the posts. I will try to make it simple for you, sometimes selfish play helps a team sometimes it does not. What is annoying is posters like you who think they are experts on what the best programs and coaches teach when in reality they have no idea. Your intolerably long replies hint at a narcissistic personality disorder which goes hand in hand with your sense of what selfish play is and why successful teams never allow it. "Good coaches will not tolerate selfish play", actually at times good coaches encourage selfish play and at times they discourage selfish play .

The post was long but it was accurate. I think the poster understands that people like you do not understand the game or team sports in general. Good Coaches do not encourage selfish play. They encourage "the appropriate play at the appropriate time". They also have specific concepts, schemes, plays, sets, strategies, philosophies and such that make up the identity of the Team. You will never find a championship team that attributes their success to selfish play. Good coaches often point to selfish play as a reason for their teams failures, shortcomings and losses. Do you think Bill Belichick will tolerate a WR who doesn't put the same effort into blocking as he does receiving?
You don't get it. Go to goal...