Originally Posted by Anonymous
Newsday has never been known for in depth research and and reporting. It is an individual award not a who do I play for or am I committed award. I am sure some colleges are reevaluating their commitment decisions after such ok seasons by their commits.
Individual stats and results from a particular season (2021) is all Newsday should be looking at, but we all know that is not true.

Whaaaa! my sophomore wont get her picture in the paper...what are we gonna tell grandma?

Grandma knows that a bunch of overhyped seniors got participation trophies. One of the major problems with this sport. Stats don't lie. Enjoy that award that you know your daughter didn't deserve! Trust me grandma has first hand witnessed whats wrong with our society!

"Stats Don't lie" , They do when or if the top point getter is getting them against a Jr high school team. please stop with the newsday stats. when a team gets credited with more assist then goals (happens many times) the stats start to lose credibility.

THIS. So much. I know a girl in MD (my state) that got 13 goals in one game purely so they could make sure she reached 200 for her career because their next game in the playoffs was against a quality team that could (and did) crush them. It happens everywhere.

Stats are a big part of the story, but not all of it. People pay way too much attention to numbers that can easily be fudged.

So all this talk about stats are important, stat padding etc...
Stats do not seem to matter at all in the selection of these players. Newsday's Player of the Year did not even finish on the stats list that they keep. The statistics they keep truly are meaningless.