[/quote]

Looking at just the total price doesn't compare apples to apples, as some teams include extra tourneys, winter turf time and training in those numbers, while others you pay a la carte for all of the extra's. Suffice to say, travel has gone to a whole new level, price-wise. Tuition for 91 went up 57% in the past two years. Granted, they throw in some extra's to get to that price, including an extra sweatshirt, but +57% in two years is staggering. Makes you start thinking about getting off the travel lacrosse gravy train. You wonder why lacrosse is perceived as the prep school sport of the privileged?? It's because it still very much is.
[/quote]

Which is exactly why I will not have my son play for a club program that includes a true "full year" program - I don't want:

* fall tourneys - my kids are busy playing football from Aug 1st to the end of Nov. with Saturday walk-throughs and Sunday games, along with travel practices every other week or so
* winter workouts are fine, but I prefer it to be extra and a la carte - my kids are playing basketball and/or wrestling, as well as having some weekends to maybe do something as a family. We'll make as many as we can, but, if not, then I don't feel like I paid for something I could not take advantage of.
* spring tourneys - my kids are busy enough with their PAL and school teams, along with the the ramping up of their travel practices as we move into April/May

In the end, I worry less about my kids getting burned out of lax, they are multi-sport athletes and better athletes as a result, and I am not paying as much, but getting more value for my money spent.[/quote]

All extremely valid arguments. However, I'm sure that almost 100% of the people that read this will opt for the year round program, assuming their son is able to make such a team. Why? The proof is in the pudding. You're son obviously is unable to make such a team, or at least a decent one. Without the extra work and expertise associated with a better year round program, he has no chance of keeping up with the boys that do. That's the sad truth and the reason why we think these teams have us by the short hairs.

[/quote]

I said I didn't want fall and spring tournaments - my kids practice with their club teams during both of those seasons. They also make a majority of their winter workouts, but I lose zero sleep and money when they don't. My one son's team is full of players who willingly left the big programs because of all of the [ChillLaxin] - their team is about consistent in talent from the 1st to 18th boy, so I know my son could have played on those clubs (provided they chose solely based upon play, but we all know that part of the [ChillLaxin] is that that doesn't happen!). Ultimately, my son and a whole bunch of players who don't play for the big clubs will all be vying for the same roster spots as your kids - fact. [/quote]

You sound like a bitter dad of a so so player that thinks his son is much better than he is. Consistent talent? There is no team anywhere with the consistent talent that you describe, which leads me to believe that you are a Lacrosse neophyte, and your son is average or below. Players have left good clubs, because they think like you?? Friend, I’m very familiar with the rosters of the top clubs, and no players have done what you are describing. We get it. You’re pissed off about what you perceive to be unfair treatment by the coaches. Happens all the time. The reality is, your kid isn’t as good as you wish he was. And in all likelihood, he never will be. Try to keep it in perspective. It’s just a game that will be over before you know it. It’s not important. The relationship you have with your son is. Don’t jeopardize that over a game that is only played to have fun.
[/quote]

You've made a ton of assumptions, which is pretty much par for the course when you hold false perceptions of superiority. What you fail to see is that, despite its growth, youth lacrosse at the club level is about as dysfunctional as it could be. That observation is not made based upon personal experiences, but by reasoned observation - one can be critical of something even when they haven't been victimized by it; no bitterness here - none of my boys have not made the teams they tried out for! Novel concept there, especially to those who rely on emotion and knee jerk reactions to decision-making! Also, your over simplistic assessment of things to a 'black and white' position further suggests a casual at best thinking on the subject or intellectual laziness. While this is a 2024 board, the thread delved into a topic that was relevant to any/all ages. The big clubs have two and three teams at many ages - if you are that familiar with ALL of those clubs teams at ALL ages, maybe you should reconsider what you choose to do in your spare time. I have multiple sons playing in multiple age groups - I am going to to go out on a limb and guess you don't know anything about the group of boys I referenced - I say that mostly because the numbers are not in your favor (otherwise, you're a creeper!) and because you're wrong. I present criticism of the situation because as a long time coach of multiple sports, I see lax operating in a system that grossly underserves the whole - sure it works 'well' for a very small group. That is also why that small group is either ignorant of the bigger problem or they're worried that any changes will diminish their elite status and influence on the sport. Good luck with that! Your perceptions and attitude would lead to zero progress in lacrosse moving to where it could achieve a status that ALL other major youth sports already have.