Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quick question i see all these post with holdbacks . What makes a kid a holdback ? If a kid was born in Mid November and the cut off for School is Dec 1st but was held back in first grade and 2 weeks later the rest of the kids start turning the same age as that mid November birthday is he considered a holdback ? What is the cut off date ?

Depends who you talk to. My opinion, unless it is a 6month difference between 2005 / 2006 it will make no difference. There are plenty of holdbacks that play lacrosse that are b plAyers . And 2006 kids that are A players. Holdbacks are an excuse that people use to justify why their child does not play. I played sports my whole life , I was always the youngest in my grade. I was an athlete and always played. Does not make a difference. If a child has it they have it. Anyone that has coached will agree. .

I've coached youth sports for the better part of 15 years, lacrosse included. I disagree with you, as do most coaches I've spoken to, with respect to lacrosse. Most formal studies of pre-pubescent sports also are at odds with your assessment. Just because you are a coach does not make you an SME. I think that putting my feelings aside, I will go with the what the real experts have concluded.
what did they conclude. That a kid born 11/25/05 is alot better lacrosse player than a kid born 1/25 2006.
So that would mean that a child born 01/25/2006 is a much. Better lacrosse player than a child born 03/25/2006 . And so on and so on. Truth is it all depends on the child. Every child grows at different paces. It depends n a child’s athlettism, speed, IQ, etc. the few months you are talking about is baselesses. Show me the data. If you were a coach for that long you would know it plays a small factor. If it was a year and a half or 2 year gap than I would be concerned . Hence all the Maryland teams.

No one would disagree with the fact the closer the age, the less impact there is. But you've set out the smallest gaps possible to refute the widely accepted conclusion, and the reality if a general SA population sees a distribution where at least 50% are NOT that close in age, so the impacts are significant. That said, the studies are out there for you to find and read yourself, and they are not outliers. In general, depending upon the pre-pubescent age, the younger SAs are adversely impacted by even months difference. Again, no one would suggest going more granular than a yearly breakdown for organized play as that is untenable, but the studies' results and findings remain what they are.

Quick question i see all these post with holdbacks . What makes a kid a holdback ? If a kid was born in Mid November and the cut off for School is Dec 1st but was held back in first grade and 2 weeks later the rest of the kids start turnin the same age as that mid November birthday is he considered a holdback ? What is the cut off date ?

Depends who you talk to. My opinion, unless it is a 6month difference between 2005 / 2006 it will make no difference. There are plenty of holdbacks that play lacrosse that are b plAyers . And 2006 kids that are A players. Holdbacks are an excuse that people use to justify why their child does not play. I played sports my whole life , I was always the youngest in my grade. I was an athlete and always played. Does not make a difference. If a child has it they have it. Anyone that has coached will agree. .

I've coached youth sports for the better part of 15 years, lacrosse included. I disagree with you, as do most coaches I've spoken to, with respect to lacrosse. Most formal studies of pre-pubescent sports also are at odds with your assessment. Just because you are a coach does not make you an SME. I think that putting my feelings aside, I will go with the what the real experts have concluded.
what did they conclude. That a kid born 11/25/05 is alot better lacrosse player than a kid born 1/25 2006.
So that would mean that a child born 01/25/2006 is a much. Better lacrosse player than a child born 03/25/2006 . And so on and so on. Truth is it all depends on the child. Every child grows at different paces. It depends n a child’s athlettism, speed, IQ, etc. the few months you are talking about is baselesses. Show me the data. If you were a coach for that long you would know it plays a small factor. If it was a year and a half or 2 year gap than I would be concerned . Hence all the Maryland teams.

No one would disagree with the fact the closer the age, the less impact there is. But you've set out the smallest gaps possible to refute the widely accepted conclusion, and the reality if a general SA population sees a distribution where at least 50% are NOT that close in age, so the impacts are significant. That said, the studies are out there for you to find and read yourself, and they are not outliers. In general, depending upon the pre-pubescent age, the younger SAs are adversely impacted by even months difference. Again, no one would suggest going more granular than a yearly breakdown for organized play as that is untenable, but the studies' results and findings remain what they are.

Quick question i see all these post with holdbacks . What makes a kid a holdback ? If a kid was born in Mid November and the cut off for School is Dec 1st but was held back in first grade and 2 weeks later the rest of the kids start turning the same age as that mid November birthday is he considered a holdback ? What is the cut off date ?

most of the talk of holdbacks start at the hs school level . Where the real impact would be . Instead of a child going into 9th grade they reclassify and remain in 8th . This is a practice that is done in other states.