Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quick question i see all these post with holdbacks . What makes a kid a holdback ? If a kid was born in Mid November and the cut off for School is Dec 1st but was held back in first grade and 2 weeks later the rest of the kids start turning the same age as that mid November birthday is he considered a holdback ? What is the cut off date ?

Depends who you talk to. My opinion, unless it is a 6month difference between 2005 / 2006 it will make no difference. There are plenty of holdbacks that play lacrosse that are b plAyers . And 2006 kids that are A players. Holdbacks are an excuse that people use to justify why their child does not play. I played sports my whole life , I was always the youngest in my grade. I was an athlete and always played. Does not make a difference. If a child has it they have it. Anyone that has coached will agree. .

I've coached youth sports for the better part of 15 years, lacrosse included. I disagree with you, as do most coaches I've spoken to, with respect to lacrosse. Most formal studies of pre-pubescent sports also are at odds with your assessment. Just because you are a coach does not make you an SME. I think that putting my feelings aside, I will go with the what the real experts have concluded.
what did they conclude. That a kid born 11/25/05 is alot better lacrosse player than a kid born 1/25 2006.
So that would mean that a child born 01/25/2006 is a much. Better lacrosse player than a child born 03/25/2006 . And so on and so on. Truth is it all depends on the child. Every child grows at different paces. It depends n a child’s athlettism, speed, IQ, etc. the few months you are talking about is baselesses. Show me the data. If you were a coach for that long you would know it plays a small factor. If it was a year and a half or 2 year gap than I would be concerned . Hence all the Maryland teams.