Originally Posted by Anonymous

[quote=Anonymous]Spring is approaching and the town teams tournaments will be starting up. I feel the town team tournaments are a good barometer on How the HS teams will do down the road. I know some of the town teams grab from surrounding towns but what town teams stand out?

For Suffolk:

1. BBP
2. ESM
3. SWR
4. Commack

Big fall off after that.

Should be in that order.

I agree but I would have to put Commack in front of ESM. And I have never seen SWR play at any of the tournaments- How about the Nassau teams?

I’m sure we’ll get a RVC and a GC dad saying their teams are tops in Nassau. But really, is there any other team that compete in Nassau?? I read all of the garbage on here, and I don’t think there is another legit contender ever mentioned.

There aren't that many town teams in Nassau that strive to participate as such - between the smaller communities where it is logistically too much work to put teams together along with all of the boys that play club, it's really a meaningless assessment of anything.

Not sure your logic adds up. Nassau is prob one of the most populated counties in the country, and likely the original hot bed for all of Lacrosse. And there are basically no town teams, while relative new comer Suffolk has tons and tons of town teams. Dude. That doesn’t make sense.

Do you read ALL of the words?? It makes sense when you read the WHOLE thing. My town is a prime example - very strong Class C program (pointing out that to demonstrate size of community) and of the ~22 2024 boys total that play lacrosse, ~15 play travel, and do so in 4 - 5 different programs. As a coach of that group, I could never get enough players with interest to also play for a town team - of the non-travel players, I'd probably get 1- 2 and from previous attempts to get the boys that play travel to also play on a town team, most of them (or their parents) balk because they feel they are already busy enough with lacrosse between PAL and travel obligations. Thus, my position isn't hypothetical - it's fact, and I have heard similar stories from other districts. Multiply this situation across other Nassau Communities and you can why other than mostly the larger districts, there are no town teams.

Conclusion: Travel has killed town lacrosse, until HS.

And, if your kid isn’t in travel, because of financial reasons or otherwise, your son has basically no opportunity to play lacrosse, now or in the future.

A very sad state for the sport of lacrosse and it’s mission in regards to inclusion of the less privileged.

It will continue to be the “prep school” sport of the privileged. Thats a very big problem for the sport.