Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes, it's a very good school (#37 ranked university by US News, just behind Case Western and ahead of BU and Lehigh). Also, has a very good undergraduate business program. I hope that answers your question.

Wow. That is very, very good. Had no idea that penn state was rated that high academically. Read your post, looked it up, and was surprised. This might be a first on this board, My apologies, I was wrong and spoke out of turn.

Be careful of how to rate a large school like Penn St. If you check a bit deeper into the US News report its admissions is rated as "Selective" as opposed to "More Selective" and "Most Selective". So you don't need great grades to get in. That is supported by its 54% acceptance rate which also is not great. 65% graduate which isn't bad but not great.

So why does US News rank it as high as 37? When you have 40,000 enrollment you can treat 10% of your student body very well--those folks who don't care about football, drinking, etc. Do they have a good business school? Sure. But not all 40,000 have access.

Someone mentioned Bucknell, which is #32. They have 3,500 students, more selective, 27% acceptance and 85% graduation. I'll throw a completely different look with Amherst College, #2 national Liberal Arts, 1,800 enrolled, most selective, 13% acceptance, 86% graduation. For fun, I'll pick another PA school that is private, Villanova. #1 Regional University, 7,100 enrolled, more selective, 45% acceptance, 85% graduation.

Also remember US News segments its list to National University, Regional University and National Liberal Arts. Forbes throws them all in one basket, where Penn St is #166. According to Forbes it's Williams, Stanford, Swarthmore 1-2-3. They base their poll on cost of education vs earning potential of graduates.

In the end, as I tell all folks I counsel, you have to pick the right school that fits your child.