Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I thought holdbacks weren't a thing on the island.....
Define "holdback".... on LI it is done one of two ways. 1) Parents know the advantage of having an older kid in a grade and enter them into school late so that they are, on average, a year older. 2) kid will go from a public school 8th grade to a private school and repeat that grade. They may return to public school the following year or continue on with private school. This debate will never end and it is a legitimate concern when kids are younger and can get hurt by a bigger / stronger kid. Yea By the time they are in HS it is moot. I am not saying that the older kids will not be stronger and bigger but most kids have grown and it is just unfortunate for the late bloomers.

Really? Look at St. A, Chaminade and even some publics like Mt. S. holdbacks are rampant. Not a moot point, it’s gaming the system at the expense of others who do thing the ethical way. I will always root for the on age kid over the holdback, and nothing is better than the look on holdback dads face when on age kid burns him. Priceless![/quote]
I'm not sure what your "really?" means. I wasn't taking a side on this and just explained how it is usually done. Nor did I mention how rampant it may be or what schools it is pervasive at. You can disagree whether it is really that big an advantage in high school or not. I to will always be supportive of the on age players but a good player is a good player regardless of holdback or not.