Originally Posted by Anonymous
the problem with talent does have to do with scheduling of the tryout. I know that it's done when it is done with an eye on college coaches being able to attend after their seasons have ended.the problem with that is most Catholic highschool kids are smack dab in the middle of finals week. it's why my son and many others did not attend. we made the choice to put academics first. move the tryout to Friday night at least and Saturday for that matter, give them a little breathing room to study and you will see more talent on the team.

I am assuming you are talking about UA tryouts, if so, I think that no matter when you have the tryouts you are going to have conflicts. In past years they had it on the weekend and it conflicted with public school state championships, players on the three teams playing missed the Saturday tryout and had to decide if they wanted to go a tryout the day after playing in a state championship game. if you wait for the next week or weekend you are already into summer schedule with teams and showcases. The tryouts were run by coaches from St A and Cham so they should have been aware of the potential conflicts.

The final roster for UA highlight had 8 Chaminade players on it and many of those boys are going to top academic schools so I think they were able to do both.