Originally Posted by Anonymous
Ok so the season is over. What do you do if your H.S. coach is just bad. Does nothing for player development. Does not do any summer tournaments. Does not have off season workout schedule or plan. Acts like a child on sideline. Does nothing to develop players during and out of season. Does not instill a sense of trust. Says one thing and does another. Despite all these short comings team still does well.

Look at the successful programs. They play together as much as they can. There is a seamless transition from JV to Varsity. Off season is just as important as in season. There is a sense of purpose a sense of pride in the program. The youth and middle school, are an extension of the high school program. The coaches, varsity and j.v. are involved in the team and it's play all season long. Alumni are very involved and even coach the program at all levels.

So is the program successfull or not? Not really sure I understand.

From what I interpreted is the team does well even though he is a bad coach. Probably would do better if they had a better coach.

To original poster: CSH just won their third State Title in a row. They do nothing all off season as a team. All the best players play on the best travel team they can find. That's how kids get better. You play with the best kids you can find and play against the best competition. That how it works. Very few teams make the in house program work, maybe WM and WI, that's it. It creates way too many problems. Way too many hands in the till. Pay to play. Too many Coaches then start to threaten kids and make them play with the town. It's awful. Living through it now. Trust me, you don't want any part of this crap.

I do agree with the in house stuff becoming a nightmare. Yet shouldn't a Varsity coach be involved or have a plan for JV and maybe even middle school. Isn't the point to have a cohesiveness throughout all school related programs. The programs that have the best youth PAL and maybe even a travel program that they are affiliated with to help their players develop in the off-season is vital to a high school teams success. If their is not a good coach at the helm regardless of how good they are or what great club team they play on you need direction (plays to execute, video to watch and scout opponents, substitute at the right time, calling time outs at the right time, running practices that emphasize execution and intensity.) If you don't have a coach that has a vision and a direction for a program it is horrible. Can't have the kids running the show.

CSH had a run and season for the ages. They also had some of the top players in its senior class. I think next year is going to be a lot different. Won't have the horses they had this year.