Originally Posted by Anonymous
Manhasset is going to struggle the next few years. Lack of talent in the pipeline. Next good class is 2029 and they are stacked.

They losing kids to private schools? Lots of that over here in CT too. Seems like the public school level of play is dropping. @ChillLaxin. Still fun rivalries but I think public vs private is a gap that is only widening. Only speaking for CT schools.

Manhasset kids have great school district and great sports. Don’t see why they have the need to go to private schools?
You could say the same thing about the Fairfield County area, where the public schools are fantastic and the programs are nationally competitive, but even in a town like Darien, the youth program is now getting gutted by NEW-1, Lawrenceville, and even Georgetown Prep of all places. Club ball and entities like NLF have created this illusion that if you want to play serious D1 lacrosse, you have to go to a prep school and reclass.

It's a full on arms race and honestly I feel embarrassed for the schools and organizations pushing this all. Spending so much time and effort to stack the deck in their favor to win a children's game. Does winning even mean anything at this level when there's no sense of community that brought these teams together, and all the kids are 1 and sometimes even 2 years older than the competition? Congrats, you put all of your time, money, and attention to build a super team to beat a local squad with younger players, with academics a mere after thought for these kids.

Even the fabled MIAA has given in to the shifting tides: BL, McDonogh, and Calvert Hall have lineups packed with kids from around the country and essentially aren't Maryland teams anymore. Why a kid like Matt Higgins felt the need to leave a terrific school/lax program like St. Ignatius to go across the country and board at BL, and then play club ball on LI in the summer, is beyond me. Do these kids and parents really have nothing else to flesh out their lives than to drop everything to chase an ever so slightly higher level of high school lacrosse?