Originally Posted by Anonymous
Honest question. There seems to always be the same teams at the top year after year while other programs continue to struggle. Schools with the same or similar student body size can't compete. In your opinion what makes these schools so consistently successful? Is it the coaching? Is it the system they run? Is it the town/PAL program or the local travel clubs? Are some towns just more "lacrosse towns" or have more kids play from a young age? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hard to figure out. But I can say towns with $$$$ seem to be very good . More money , more clinics , more private lessons etc.. look at a district like Sachem very big they won 1 or 2 state championships in the 90’s when it was 1 HS . There youth program is very good. Sachem north always in the playoffs but never get over that hump. People say they have 2 Hs so not getting the best , but the argument with that is look at smithowns and Hills also 2 Hs. I think money towns are very good . smithtowns, syosset , Wm , CSH , GC , Mahasset etc. garden city Wm you also have generations that stay and live there. JMO

Tradition and culture are a big part of the reason. However, having parents who are willing (and able) to start their kids young and "pay to play" year round from Pre-K all the way up through HS. Doing so requires a lot of time, effort and money. Think of a family with multiple children all involved in the sport. They can easily spend in excess of $6,000 (after tax dollars) per year per child for 8 - 10 years. Equipment, Tuition, Training, Gas, Tolls, Hotels, food, drink etc... Very few kids will be able to compete without keeping up with the Joneses.

All of the above are contributory factors. I think the most important piece of the puzzle is the willingness of families to resettle in the town they grew up in. When you have parents that played college level lacrosse, they must have been a pretty good player. No matter the division. When those parents have children, they are exposed to lacrosse and skill development at a very young age. The Coaches in these towns are folks who know everything about the game. They aren't the soccer Coach or Football Coach taking a team in the youth lax program like in other towns. Very early skill development in this sport is a huge leg up. Lesser athletes with greater skill mastery will win the day at the youth level every time. Lacrosse is different than other sports in this way. It can also be the difference at the HS level as well. If it weren't, then you could just give sticks to freak football and basketball players and win the games. You can't.
Ask the parents from Set, GC, WM, etc. if they played in college? I have, and many were great players in their day.