Originally Posted by Anonymous
I thought holdbacks weren't a thing on the island.....
Define "holdback".... on LI it is done one of two ways. 1) Parents know the advantage of having an older kid in a grade and enter them into school late so that they are, on average, a year older. 2) kid will go from a public school 8th grade to a private school and repeat that grade. They may return to public school the following year or continue on with private school. This debate will never end and it is a legitimate concern when kids are younger and can get hurt by a bigger / stronger kid. Yea By the time they are in HS it is moot. I am not saying that the older kids will not be stronger and bigger but most kids have grown and it is just unfortunate for the late bloomers.[/quote]

Really? Look at St. A, Chaminade and even some publics like Mt. S. holdbacks are rampant. Not a moot point, it’s gaming the system at the expense of others who do thing the ethical way. I will always root for the on age kid over the holdback, and nothing is better than the look on holdback dads face when on age kid burns him. Priceless!