Originally Posted by Anonymous
There is nothing wrong with holdbacks/colleges delaying entry so that a kid will play college at age 20-24. The problem is not playing on-age in youth lacrosse. For the equivalent of 9th grade and below it should be based on birth year. After that, the elite players can go into a "junior" system, while the rest can still play on age. This is how I would set it up at least. For instance, this past summer I would have had a 2006 division, 2007 division, etc. Within such, I would have AA, A, B or whatever makes sense. Kids can always play up (a 2008 can play with the 2007s if that is what the parents and the team wants). For 2005 and higher, the best will be on a junior team at junior events playing with and against kids up through 2002. For kids not at that level of skill/athleticism - there can exist continued birth year divisions. Obviously, college scouting (at least for D1) will be at the junior events.

There is no sense in trying to fix anything. Just do what you think gives your son the best opportunities.

You’re totally missing the point, DA. What if someone can’t afford to send their kid to prep school for 5 years. That’s 350K. Or pay 10K per year for lacrosse. How do I give him your “ best opportunities” without your truckloads of cash?? How is that inner city kid with all that naturally talent and zero means going to fit into that model??

Regarding your system, who will make these determinations regarding all the particulars. Just remember, lacrosse is a dead-end sport. Enjoy the time playing, find a school for your kid which offers a career field he can pursue afterward. All this posturing, leveraging makes no sense to me.
Top player rankings for 2023. Birthdays included.. Out of the top 16 boys only three were born in 2005. Rest in 2004 (meaning they are all 17 years old entering their junior year and some will turn 18 by the time the season starts). And one kid is a 2003 (will be 18 in a month).

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/2023-recruits-il-s-top-50-young-gun-junior-rankings/58405

And the common theme is every kid pretty much plays for a private school. This is not a problem on Long Island. It’s also never going away until club ball is gone.

The 2003 kid already committed to Princeton and is graduating from HS this year. He’s taking a year off so they are considering him a 23. Probably not a bad decision so he can get more play time once at Princeton instead of being penalized from the Covid delays and 5th year!

Many times an Ivy or top program will tell a kid to delay graduating or to do a post grad year because there is no spot for them given the current roster. As a 2021 he would not be attending Princeton, would not be a top player and would mix in with hundreds of other kids trying to get those few top d1 spots. Holding back turns a good to average athlete when playing proper age into a superstar.

This is an absolutely ridiculous comment. So he’s an average player but is a superstar because he delayed? Please stop the silliness, these are great lacrosse players, regardless. You’re trying to make yourself feel better

It makes sense. He would be an average player if he was playing against kids his age in the 2021 group but he becomes a superstar playing against the 2023s. Why hold back or re-class if you can also dominate against the older kids? Obviously you hold back or re-class to gain a competitive advantage that you would not have against kids your own age.