Originally Posted by Anonymous
The recording and reporting of stats has reached a ridiculous level. I track my sons stats (goalie) for him to review shot location etc and review against game film. When he sees what other teams goalie are getting credit for its amazing. For those who say it doesn't matter there are school and county awards at stake.

Yes, it’s ridiculous. The stats do not add up an both ends a lot of times. Who’s keeping them at the games? Is it up to the school team itself to report? It’s terribly in accurate. It does matter to the players to get them right
I believe it's up to the winning team to report the book.

This year I overheard a coaching staff telling the opposing scorekeeper save every time the ball was near the goalie.

I've seen goalies who scored 2 goals in a game somehow in Newsday so seems to be pick a name from a hat.

The basic calculation for save percentage is this:

Saves / Shots on Goal
13 saves / 25 shots on goal = 52% save percentage.

Now let’s talk definitions.

The basic definition of a Save is any time a shot is stopped or deflected, with any part of the goalie’s body or stick, and does NOT go into the goal.

Shot off the head, shot off the hip, shot off the shin, shot off the shaft, shot into the pocket of the stick. As long as it doesn’t go into the goal, that’s a save.

Shots that hit the post are NOT considered saves unless the goalie deflected the ball prior to it hitting the pipe.

Shots that miss the goal are NOT considered saves, again unless the goalie deflected the ball prior to it sailing high or wide.

Shots on Goal is this calculation: saves + goals.

That means a shot that sails wide or hits the pipe without being touched by the keeper does not count as an official shot on goal.

A shot that hits the pipe (not deflected by the goalie) does not count as an official shot on goal.

A shot that hits a defender and never makes it to the goalie does not count as a shot on goal.