Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The odds are not at all stacked against public school kids in New York. Are you completely unfamiliar with lacrosse generally?

Everything else being equal, do you really think proper age public school kids have the same chance as the prep school kids of any age?

In NY especially LI whether you go to public school or private/prep school doesn't matter as much than a competitive travel team who plays in better attended tournaments.. Sure there are schools with more history of happening on having great players but they are also typically big population dense programs also vs smaller schools on LI. Travel programs is the focus, and No I am not a travel program owner doing an infomercial , just a parent like most of you[/quote]

Cold Spring Harbor , Manhasset and even Garden City are not "Large HS" yet they are three of the best lacrosse programs on Long Island.

I would agree that on age Long Island kids are at a disadvantage when competing against "holdbacks and double holdbacks"... We still put out plenty of big time recruits but it is a clear advantage to be a year or two older than your competition. If I had the chance to do it all over again I would hold my son back a year before starting kindergarten, possibly reclass in the 8th grade and then have him do a PG year...

Your comment regarding playing for a competitive club team is accurate. If a player can compete on one of the Top 2 or 3 Club Teams on Long Island they will most likely have some very good opportunities at some very good universities. The High School team a player players is not as important as the club team when it comes to recruiting.[/quote]

I don't think we really disagree. My "big school" comment was probably just cherry picking some of the schools on the large list and currently being in a position that my son plays on a top travel organization however will have a graduating class of about 150 total......so my point to the person was more to dispute that it is not a comparison on prep school vs. public school here locally. Maybe it was when I was that age but not now. Travel team competitiveness is more important