Originally Posted by Anonymous
NESCAC schools are great, but you better have top academics.....particularly for Amherst and Williams. Student athletes trying to go to these schools need better grades and test scores than similar lax players trying to go to Harvard or Yale. Coaches have less pull with Admissions at NESCACs.

exactly, and if they are that good at lax, sorry but they arent going Nescac. my point exactly.

I thought i posted last night about the boys going to yale harvard cornell and brown. they had some impressive grades, not 100% sure their standard test were stellar. No way they were trading Ivy for Nescac and if not Ivy it was Duke ND UVA or MichiganI also know there are some boys with stellar grades that opted out of the sport. Some at the SUNYs that have lacrosse. And in a few cases better than any '19 recruit

Don't denigrate NESCAC as there is lots of top-end lacrosse played there. As an example, Jordan Wolff (Amherst) was under consideration for the Tewaarton last year The point is not that the lacrosse is weak there. The point is that these kids are at the very top academically......above the Ivys. So the mistake is thinking you are going for Yale and, if that doesn't work out, you can always go to Williams. As above, your scores may be good enough for Yale but not Williams. For certain kids, NESCAC is gold: top academics, school/athletic balance, etc, But, again, don't fool yourself into thinking that these are some types of safety schools. Many a kid has been left at the altar by top NESCACs when the coach couldn't get them through admissions.

Please stop. For the most part the only people who hold NESCAC's in higher regard than Ivy's are the parents of kids who attend NESCAC schools. There is not "lots of top-end lacrosse played there". NESCAC's are good schools with good lacrosse but please stop they are not for everyone and they are not necessarily better than the Ivy's, Duke, Notre Dame etc.. in fact many would consider several large state universities better all around.

Try reading again. My primary point was that good lacrosse gets played at NESCACS, but they are not for everyone. My second point was not that they are better than Ivys but harder academically for recruited athletes to get past admissions. Nobody said NESCACS are overall better schools than Ivys. That is all....

I specifically mentioned schools like Michigan and UVA and ND and Duke. Because in 10th grade a lot of these kids considered those NESCACs and now they are at those (Michigan UVA Duke ND) schools. Some of them even considered Centennial and Liberty conferences instead or those big state club programs instead of Nescac. Binghamton is filled with students that would be able to play Nescac and were academically eligible but arnt playing.

But lets get into a more debatable conversion can NESCAC really beat a mid or lower teir D1 or Mid or high Tier DII. Could a South Carolina, Ga tech FSU Arizona Clemson or even Liberty or Chapman Club beat Nescac absolutely . Could a Mule Swar or Hav beat Wilm A'herst or Wes?

Go to the school you like, the school you can afford and one you can see cheering and visiting the next 50 years, but remember even those guys from NCState wish they still had lax

Your argument sounds like the one poeple make about college football or basketball vs. the pros. I remember when people used to say UNLV in their heyday could beat a lower level NBA team. It's not the same comparison to consider NESCAC vs. mid / lower level D1 programs. Top level NESCAC and other D3 schools like Cabrini would absolutely be competitive with these programs but you will never know because they won't play or scrimmage as there is no benefit. Many of the kids going to Wesleyan, Williams, Amherst and even MIT were highly recruited D1 athletes that chose a NESCAC school. There is a big difference once you arrive and spend four years training 20-30 per week all year vs. NESCACS which have a light "captains" practice in the Fall and then ramp things up in the Spring but there is no mistaking the talent of many of the players entering freshman year are on par with D1 lacrosse players. These kids don't think of going to a NESCAC school as a consillation but a choice. If we are talking purely lacrosse then D1 outshines all others even professional lacrosse. When discussing academics alongside lacrosse which is what this thread was originally about, the NESCACS are on par with every IVY, ACC, BIG10, etc. program.