Originally Posted by Anonymous
St. A's -- great sports, POOR academics. I know a number of parents that teach there who say they'd never send their kids there. Their latest ploy to improve their test scores and academic rankings is a massive push for foreirgn exchange students. I wonder if the foreigners will know that they pray in a three point stance there... Unless you are in a very weak public district, you are better off staying there.

As the parent of a St Antony's alumni who DID NOT PLAY SPORTS THERE. I have to say, you have no idea what you're talking about! The academics are rigorous, challenging, up to date and on target for helping the students attend great schools.

We live in one of the best districts on long island and chose to send our child there. Our child received a top notch education and was enriched by the multicultural, multiracial demographic of the student population.

Going there is about the whole experience. Something clearly you just don't get. There are rules and they are not made to be broken like all the public schools. They wear uniforms which puts all students in the same level when it comes to dressing and eliminates the competitive label conscious environment of dressing and eliminates the provocative dressing by the female students. My local high school looks like the playboy mansion most mornings as the girls are heading in.

So bash it all you want the reality is, private school students applications end up in a different pile on the college admissions table.

You're talking about a catholic school, not a private school. Colleges/Universities don't view catholic school the same way that they view traditional private schools (think Friends Academy, Portledge, Rye Country Day, Brunswick, etc.). Long Island catholic schools require that you take a very easy test to gain admission, most, if not all, kids that take that test pass. The education at a catholic school is not much different, and is unlikely to be superior to the better public school districts on long island. The ideology at a catholic school is clearly different and not for everyone - and let's not talk about the culture at catholic schools (close minded socially and teaches only the catholic way). There's no right answer, it's a personal decision and the economic demographic of a catholic school is inferior to some of the better school districts on long island. Chaminade - all boys (kind of weird) catholic school / St. Anthony's - coed catholic school. Both great schools but let's stop the bragging, they're nothing special and are not viewed so by colleges/universities.

Let's get back to lax talk.

You are incorrect. St. Anthony's Chaminade Kellenberg etc. Are considered private schools by universities and therefore your child's college application ends up in the "private" school pile rather then the substantially larger "public" school pile.
That said my child attends St. Anthony's and it's not for the pile their application will end up in, it's for the overall experience it offers which is far superior to that of any public school on Li period.

That's just not true, but you're entitled to your opinion. Check out the academics and athletics that you get at CSH, Manhasset, Garden City and I'd take that experience over a dogmatic, one-dimensional catholic school education any day.