Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
And the best part is this kid gets a free ride on both teams... the kids that don't play pay his way. Rediculous...

Life is not fair..Not everyone gets a trophy. Pal is where everyone plays equal time.. Parents pay for travel lacrosse. The best kids are going to play . Thats how the top organizations do it. If you are the naive parent that insits little johnny be on the best team even though he is number 6 on the depth chart well that is on you. Ever consider putting him on the "B" team where maybe he would be number 1,2 or 3 on the depth chart and play alot. God forbid you have to explain to your friends little J. Is on the B team not the A. What would you do with yourself. Wake up people put your kid on a team where he will play. Stop putting them on teams where you know they can't see the field. And yes I think my son can play on an A team but you know what I don't want to see him on the bench all weekend so he is on the B team and plays. Has just as much fun. Money well spent

Part of the problem is the culture of travel lax where any team that is not one of the best 8 or so teams from VA to Maine is labeled a B team. In no other youth sport is this the case. "B" is used in all other sports to label teams that are filled with new players or lower end athletes. Many of the B teams in lax are filled with experienced players who are excellent athletes. They are just not the best of the best. AAA, AA, A, B should be used - both in terms of labeling teams and labeling divisions. There really are four levels of play - or should be if club owners knew how to grow their programs and profits to include more players/paying customers. There should be a division for a beginner player who wants to extend his lax season beyond the 9 weeks or so available for Town lax in the Spring.

LI Express, for example, should be able to have a team for each level at each grade, keeping the roster sizes at 21(or less) plus goalies. Will need a few more coaches, but will generate more paying customers and more profit.

Is this largely semantics to make kids and mommies feel better? Absolutely. But travel lax is a business, and any time you can make your paying customers feel better without compromising the product, you should do it.