Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not every age group is open to out of town boys check the web site

Bill is a great guy. But this is a real conflict of interest. No two ways about it.

How is it a conflict of interest for Cherry but it's ok for the coaches at St Anthony's and Kellenberg with Express. And before somebody drags out the old and tired answer about it's different for public vs private, please don't. How a school is funded with tuition or tax dollars makes absolutely no difference and no sense in the discussion. I'd like to hear a better reason why Express coaches get away with the conflict of interest scrutiny yet other high school coaches don't get the same free pass. Let's hear it.

You dont have to attend St Anthonys, Chaminade, Kellenberg etc.
You have to attend your public town high school or move. I'd say there is quite a difference

On one level there is no difference -- if you want to play lax and go to one of those private schools, and you are pressured to pony up for the coach's private summer lax team (or perhaps you won't play for the high school), then that would be a serious conflict of interest since the coach would be using his/her school position to coerce students and their families (not saying this happens, I don't know, but it is certainly possible).

The lack of an alternative when the same thing happens in public schools makes that situation somewhat worse, but the conflict can exist on both the public and private levels.

And frankly, once your kid is at the school he is at, he isn't going to switch to the local public school after year or two because the lacrosse coach wants you to pay him $1000 to play for his summer team. You'd pay the $1000 or not. Just like if this happened with the public school coach.