Originally Posted by Anonymous
I second that thank you. How about "recruiting camps" referred to above? Can you(or anyone else) give thoughts on these camps? What camps? How does a kid get into the camps? Need coach recommendations? try-outs? sign-up? Thanks for any thoughts. Son a freshman in high school.
Your situation is more "advanced" than our previous poster with your son now in ninth grade. At this point, some preliminary work on the college selection list can begin. This does not need to narrow down the list to specific schools, but here is what you can start to consider :
  • Is my child considering being "away" from home or staying close? If living away from home, how far is acceptable? In my family, we set the Philadelphia/New [lacrosse]/Boston corridor as the core target of our search to give you an example of what we are implying.
  • Where is your student-athlete's academic performance? If you are not currently on an AP-track or IB-track with your High School planning, that will imply that you will not be taking your school's most rigorous courses. Many colleges will take that into consideration along with your GPA in the academic process so when considering schools in the Top 50 Academically of US News and World Reports (just released the 2014 Edition), be sure to be realistic.
  • Consult with the College Board web site on your PSAT or PLAN (pre-ACT) scores for possible admission to your target schools.
  • What level of lacrosse can your student-athlete play? Watch some local college games, televised games, or attend a local showcase to gauge where your child's performance might be.
These steps can be the first ones taken towards answering the "which camps should my son attend" question. School first, athletics second.