Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can we please set aside the tired holdback talk for a second and focus on the action? I’d like to hear from Hawks partisans about what NL did to hold their vaunted offense to 8 goals in regulation. That’s gotta be a low for that squad over the past couple of seasons. Fluky, bad day for Hawks O? Or is NL’s D legit enough to topple the Hawks?

Madlax parent with my honest view. NL has a few very good and athletic defensive players and a very good and huge goalie. When they limit their rotation to just play these players, the defense is very good and I don’t think the result against us or the Hawks is a fluke. But I’m not sure it is sustainable for them to have such a large number of players on the sidelines that get little or no playing time for a 6th grade team. CM keeps our rotation tight, but for NL it seemed pretty extreme.

Actually it is very sustainable. Teams like NL and ML will play the top 2/3 of the roster in big games for the next 5-6 years, and clear the bench against the weaker teams. The bottom 1/3 of the roster will either stick around for the privilege of practicing with the top players and getting occasional game time. Or, they will move to other programs where they play more. But there will always be a fresh supply of new players from lesser programs who consider NL or ML an upgrade to the big time, and are happy to fill the bottom third of the roster. The best players and worst players all pay the same amount, which is a lot, and most parents could care less about the cost. As business models go, it is about as sustainable as it gets.