Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It’s club lacrosse. Playing time isn’t guaranteed.

Try a little harder. The question was asked "what is the optimum roster size?" If the roster is over 20 and your kid isn't in the top 20, your kid will see little or no playing time because playing time isn't guaranteed. Must be a coach at Madlax.

There's a lot of smaller issues canned in that statement. One, at all levels except elite ball, is poor substitution coaching. When my oldest son first joined club ball (club since disbanded), kids would be walking around gassed, leaning on their sticks. Team getting beat by 10+ (in other words, game is already over, put in your subs, let the starters rest). And still they would not put roster #19-21 in to play. I have been lucky to not see this on my kids' teams as they have gotten older, and partly this is a product of them working up through the club ranks into spots where the coaching is better (also, we always ask about roster size during tryouts).

And if you have poor substitution coaching, you have one of two underlying problems: 1) not enough coaches on the sideline...insane when we pay $2K+ per year per kid; 2) Politics where the Coach dares not pull The Chosen One. Learn to identify those on the sideline (or in places like BOTC chatter) before you commit your kid to a system that doesn't work.