Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
When watching highlight videos I see a few things which I dont understand how a D1 recruiter misses.

Size mismatches. For large attackmen I don't see a lot of video against trained and developed D1 caliber Defensemen. A 6-12 inch height advantage will disappear. When evaluating a reclassified player I would look for highlights against mature/skiled defenders. Our team had an early to mature Attackman on our team who has regressed as the world caught up to him.

2-Extensive use of free had to push off and get loose. Do they call wards nowadays? I see a lot of highlights that start with a push off of a defender with a free hand. Why are people publishing these non goals as highlights?

Show me a highlight video of an attackman who consistently and cleanly beats top d-poles from a grade older than his (without cheating) and I will understand the drive to early commit the player

Colleges do not give scholarships to kids based on highlight videos, it is part of the process and usually just a way to get into the conversation. When my son was being recruited by a top school they must have seen him in person 12 times, prospect day at the school, individual showcases HS and Club teams games and he was seen by 3 different coaches before an offer was made. I agree with you about the highlight videos and can not believe some of the kids put on theirs but it is a small part of the process

Honest to goodness truth here. One of my son's teammates committed to Hopkins and they never saw him play. Petro only saw him play after the fact. I have no ideas what if any scholarship money he is receiving.