Some good perspectives above.

From numerous posts, it sounds like if your kid is "good enough" and the school seems like a good non-lacrosse fit, prospect days are a good way to be seen. Make contact beforehand, etc. If kid's not good enough, they don't seem like any more of a waste of money than any other event and kid gets to see the campus, etc. I'm not from a hotbed, but still a lot of good schools within driving distance.

That said, others have posted that being on a good club team that plays in good tournaments is all you need. So, my question is how good of team and how elite of tournaments is necessary to make this true? Even if my kid was good enough, we don't have the Crabs or Team 91 in our backyard. Does one need to maneuver to get your kid on a distant all-star team like Duke's that is loaded but doesn't really practice together? Or is a regional travel team that can't compete with the Duke's, Sweetlax, Team 91 or Crabs, etc., but can compete - even if not win - against the next level down of teams good enough? I assume the club team has to be good enough to at least play tournaments in the NJ-PA-Md area without being blown out.

Even regional club teams spout off a decent amount of BS of how they will get your son seen in order to justify their costs, only to go to tournaments where there are no coaches on the sidelines. When outside a hotbed, I think a parent needs to learn enough to judge for himself/herself, but easier said than done.