Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
These early recruiting coaches will be doing a resume before the U-13 commits are shaving more than once a week. I am 45 years old, about what a college coach would be. Must be at some level humiliating for them to be doing this musical chairs for spots thing with 8th or 9th graders. Seemed like last year Dom Starsia complained about how embarrassing it is to watch 9th graders play lacrosse. No wait; that was last year. Good for kids and families to get a college opportunity. Not so good for the coaches who will be stuck with kids who may or may not develop in the next 4-5 years before they even get to college.

I have a kid in this age group (true 2018 b-day) and we have talked to several schools that have expressed interest. I completely agree that it is too soon, but by the same token, what are we supposed to do? Tell the coach we are not interested in your great school and want to wait two years?

These coaches are all following the early path, they started it, not us. Should we say to a great school no thanks for the offer of $ to attend your school?

UNC, JHP, Michigan, ND, UVA are all doing it. My understanding is that Ivies and Duke want a full year of HS grades first.

I know my kid is not ready to make life choices, but I am pretty sure that sending him to any of the above will not be a mistake...For all the doubters out there, half of these kids would never get into these schools without Lax. Do you know what the acceptance rates at these institutions are? How many of you knew what you wanted to do for a living in college? I sure didn't but the school I went to was the one that I could afford...today, that is more important than anything.

In our house it is grades first, everything else second, but the only way a kid from LI is getting IVY or Duke for that matter is a perfect SAT and a resume that shows that he overcame some tragedy. Or because he can play Lax...

For the UVA, Michigans and others above, they send out plenty of rejection letters to LI every year, if your kid gets into any of them, you should be proud.

Not sure this is worthy of any debate. If your kid gets recruited and you think there is too much risk with a choice to attend ND, then say no and wait and see what happens.

For my family, a kid going to any of the above would be a step above any NYS Suny school...No disrespect to Stony Brook or Albany or Penn State, I am sure they are all great schools, but they aren't UVA, Michigan, Duke...

I do agree with most of what you say, but don't group penn state, ranked 37 nationally with the #1 alumni network, with stony brook (82) or albany (128). They are not in the same league!