Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I did not mean to offend Suny schools or Penn state or Duke for that matter.

All are great, I went to Suny (not even one of the top four) yet post grad work is really what got me where I am-which is a pretty good place.

My point was simple, how can a kid go wrong committing to one of the top schools in the country that is willing to not only accept his application, but offer a 40% reduction in the cost of tuition?

If he doesn't develop they way they expect and pull the scholarship after one year--if he hates the school after one year--if he wants to study something that the school doesn't offer after one year--He or she can transfer. Lax is not a career it is a game, any kid (or parent) that thinks he will do well without post-grad degrees in today's world is sadly mistaken.

Yes, we all know someone who made it big without college, and ten years from now we will know people that made it big without post grad, but if you are playing the odds and seeing the world, more education = a better life.

If we were just talking about $, all of us would be better off sending our kids to Suffolk or Nassau for two years and then transferring...or spending all the time and money on SAT tutors rather than club dues, hotels, and food...

But my kid, wants to play lacrosse and some of the best institutions in the country are asking him to commit to their program to do just that. Where is the big risk that everyone is concerned about?

Someone please share with me the downside of this decision because I don't see it. Someone mentioned it puts too much pressure on the kid, my kid doesn't feel pressure on lax field, he feels pressure to get 100 on all his exams...

Again, my apologies if I offended anyone by incorrectly grouping schools, that was not my intention.

There is no downside as far as I'm concerned. I think it is about the right fit and financial situation. Most of the people on here complaining are doing so because they have not gotten any offers. My son is committed to a great school and program. He will be a Jr. this year but committed early last summer. It has actually made him more focused, and he works harder in school knowing the criteria/reputation he must meet. We did not put him into a position he couldn't handle, but where thought he would have the best experience/fit. It is a very exciting time in these boy's lives. Let them enjoy it without all the "what ifs" . There are no guarantees in life, sometimes you must seize the moment (with your eyes wide open!)

You guys are pretty spot on. As the dad of a true 2017 who committed to a top school (a number b/w 1 and 10; not 1'or 10 but somewhere in the middle 2/5th's for those about to attack) we've been through all of what is now going on in the 2018 thread.

I would state to all 2018 parents.....relax....if the kid is good enough he will be noticed with in the next 2-3 years. We took the early commit as many offers came and the kid has a good head on his shoulders and was able to articulate why it was ok to commit now instead of in 2-3 years. It certainly takes some pressure off, but his goals are purely academically inclined and chose the school that offers him the disciplines he was interested in. We know his interests will prob change and that is why a broad spectrum university was chosen such that he could take different paths as his future unfolds.

Enjoy the lacrosse. Don't put any pressure on the kids. Let it unfold. There will be back biters along the way. That is life. Make sure the kid is having fun. If he is talented; he doors will be open. In any case; just be there for him or her and enjoy the ride. It's really short.