Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am concerned about college prospect days since we don't even have 1st quarter grades. Not sure we would be at the right schools.

Based on middle school grades and standardized test scores I think he can be Ivy but am just not sure. We take the PSAT as freshmen this fall - I think this wil be a major indicator for us.

Do you treat recruiting like regular application process with "safety" school

Ask yourself these questions? Is he all honors with 98 average and no studying? Has he hit puberty yet? When they do, they become less interested in school.... More interested in girls. Does he love school work and have a passion for it? Would he rather read a book than shoot a bucket of balls? The answers to these questions may help you figure out if he's a potential Ivy kid.
As far as safety schools are concerned, unless you have the next Rabil with a 99 average, you might want to think more along the lines of: Let's see what kind of interest he generates... Point is, you may have a great student that some coaches may not be interested in. Or a great player who doesn't quite continue with the middle school grades in HS. It is a moving target at best, with all kinds of ups and downs.
Again, for the Rabil with a 99 average, very easy, take your pick.