Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by America's Game
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Buddy's son was "one to watch" based on his performance at 3d as per Inside Lacrosse. You guessed it: he didn't make Jake Reed. Tough for kid who sees himself complimented online then doesn't get it.

This is the problem with all the coverage of 8th 9th grade lacrosse. A lot of it sets the kids up for disappointment. Writer saw kids talent on the field. He performed well at the tryout. Isn't that why you have the tryouts. Its why many of these tryouts for these events are truly based on reputation and what color your helmet is. They aren't really based on the performance at the actual tryout. Having the right advocate in the selection room also helps a lot. Have your friends son use it as fuel. Work harder and give them [lacrosse] on the field. He knows and so do the other kids who played well. The kids aren't stupid. They all know each other. This is the BS of a lot of these events like JR and Brine

Or - maybe the writer saw a nice play when he looked up from his phone in between food tweets and said something nice about the kid as opposed to the professional evaluators who are supposed to watch all the games and all the players - hopefully the evaluators are professional and not TYed to certain organizations and coaches - these tryouts are impossible to get 100% correct but to say that an Oriole's fan who is socializing more then watching got it right and the evaluators got it wrong is silly.

Ty is no longer a writer for Inside Lacrosse so the Orioles fan comment is understood. I understand what your saying in regards to evaluators doing their jobs and writers only seeing a snapshot of the tryout. Its just that many of these so called unbiased tryouts are predetermined and the tryouts are just a formality. A lot has to do with who's doing the evaluations and who is advocating for their player when team selections are being made.

In my opinion when a player is trying out no member from his or her organization should be doing the evaluation. Individuals with no prior knowledge of players come in with a blank slate and a clean sheet of paper. If 107 out performs 109 at the tryout then that's who should be chosen. Not because 109's travel coach says he makes that play all the time. Its hard to miss with Long Island because of the large number of high caliber players we have when selecting a team. Its just that I have heard way too many times of certain players having bad tryouts but they are selected to the team. An example is last years Brine 2018 event. There were a number of players sent home and not selected to the Pride of Long Islands Final two teams but then they made the Brine event over kids who were actually playing on the final two teams of Pride of Long Island. I hope this is clear.