Originally Posted by Anonymous
Its crazy. What if your kid is a multi sport athlete? Is it crazy to ask them to pick one sport at 14. At a recent lacrosse showcase the coaches involved in a Q & A session specifically said that they prefer athletes that played other sports. That playing other sports helps them not only physically but mentally. With the demands that are placed on these kids isn't it almost impossible to play more than one sport at a high level. Seeing the injuries that many young athletes are suffering, could it be attributed to repetitive use and only playing one sport. When we grew up we played every sport under the sun developing our whole bodies. Now with sport specific training you tend to train to the one sport you play and neglect other regions of your body. How many kids did you know in the 70's and 80's that needed knee surgery or Tommy John. I can recall none.

First of all, no one was playing 30 (40 -50 for recruiting years) summer games of lax after the school season. That's a fact. Further, no one started playing any of these sports for the most part until Jr HS. (they call it middle school now) Same thing with baseball. You are right, except for a very few select natural athletes, it's impossible not to keep working at lax to stay with the pack. As far as injuries, I suggest you look into a good overall weight training program, one that should be done year round. One that focuses on a balanced physique, full body development, and injury prevention. It is the answer to the repetitive injury problem, as the whole body is worked and weaknesses are addressed. Please, stay away from the shoots and ladder programs, more injuries to be had there... Not against other sports, but not going to force my kid to play one either.