Originally Posted by Anonymous
IMHO there will only be a handful of 2018's verbaled to D1 lacrosse one year from now so if you are not one of the top 10 - 15 kids on Long Island I don't think you should be worrying about what tournaments and showcases your kid is going to this fall and summer, you should find the best team for him with the best coaches and the best players to practice against and get better. plenty of time to spend your money the following summer. but you have to be realistic, if he could not make Extreme or Terps chances are he will not be an early commit, I am not saying he will not be a D1 player just not an early commit as most of the Terps and Extreme will not be early commits either. Just find the best fit. being on an "A" team in a different organization just to go to the top recruiting events and doing poorly as a team or as an individual is worse then never going at all. work hard, study hard, have fun and it will work out for all these boys. good luck to all the boys

I wish I could agree, but a year from now there will likely be over 150 announced 2018 commis (2017s have that many now). Schools like UVA,UNC,MD,JHU will likely be full. These are announced commits. Other schools [lacrosse] Duke, Ivies may wait to announce, but dont think for a second that they will not have their 2018 lists well vetted by this time next year. This fall and next summer are VERY important on the recruiting timeline. Lower tier D1 programs have a later timeline.

you are missing the original posters point - if your kid is not able to make Terps or Xtreme this year do you really think they are going to be one of the top 150 recruits in the country to be able to verbally commit in the next 12 months? I realize the tryouts are not perfect but really, do you think a kid that got cut by Xtreme aor Terps is signing with UVA,UNC,MD or JHU? could the evaluators be that off? The Ivy's and the Patriots will have spots next year at this time. Lacrosse is the first step then the grades.

I know this might be impossible for you and the other poster to comprehend, but there are players who are very talented who choose not to even tryout for Terps or Extreme. Perhaps they want nothing to do with condescending parents like yourself who think: If my kid isn't generating any interest and we're on Terps or Extreme, then no one on any other team is either. Let me be the first to tell you, other kids who aren't on one of those teams, and haven't tried out for one those teams have already generated Big 10 and ACC interest. Just because your kid is on one of those teams, don't think he's better than everyone else. Take it down a notch, the Coaches don't see it that way, sorry.

this conversation started when someone asked if they should accept a spot on the "B" team after getting cut from the "A" team and how would that effect recruiting. all I was saying that if you got CUT from the "A" team he was probably has plenty of time to improve his game and be seen next year and not go crazy about this fall. plenty of great players do not tryout for either of those teams. this was in response to a kid that did tryout and didn't make it. I also think that less then half of the terps and xtreme will be signed by this time next year, my son is one of those kids on one of those teams and absolutely will not be committed one year from today

Glad you clarified, it seemed like you were inferring something totally different, my mistake. Good luck to your son, and all the 2018 boys.