Originally Posted by Anonymous
If you are starting to look at private schools don’t waste your time looking at Gilman. My son and I went to meet with Gilman. The coach is socially weird. Has zero personality and very little knowledge of the MIAA and what it takes to win. We chose another school. My observation, Gilman doesn’t care about lacrosse!! If they did they would recognize the coach doesn’t have it. I don’t see how or why they would have hired such an incompetent person.
Likely story… Gilman is right there with the rest of the league in terms of talent, but they lack depth. He is such a horrible coach that they carry leads into the 2nd half against much better schools? They just run out of gas. The school doesn’t care about lacrosse like it once did but the coach isn’t the problem. They weren’t any better under Nostrant. I hope your son can get some playing time one day.

I've watched Gilman play twice. What I saw was a team with enough stick skills but too much "me" vs "we" lacrosse. That applied to both the offense and the defense. The O turned the ball over entirely too much due to a ton of hero ball and notIntelligent riding penalties due to poor technique and laziness. The defense was often undisciplined, lacked fundamentals, and was lost in transition. A more demanding coaching staff with a little more player depth would bench a couple of players early in the season and bring them into the fold culturally. That being said, the administration at Gilman is completely disinterested in sports beyond the perfunctory lip service to the Red Finney code.
Sounds like you watched the Spalding vs Gilman game. You just described Spalding and the lack of team and all ME ME players. Coaching staff is the same way no wonder this mentality is rubbing off on their players. However Gilman has the academics unfortunately Spalding lacks in this area.
I've read the same exact post describing Loyola, Gilman, St. Mary's, Spalding, MSJ, and St. Paul's. I wish this league would get some better coaches.