My son chose high academic D1/FBS/club over low D1/high D3 and has no regrets (especially with Covid). This is his opinion after talking to his friends that are playing at other schools. The low D1 programs are typically not great academic schools (of course there are exceptions) and even the programs that are competitive in their conferences get blown out if they make the NCAA tournament (I am talking about schools ranked outside the top 15-20). Also, your coaching staff is often looking to move to a more competitive program leading to coaching carousels. The competitive D3 schools are (again, this is a generalization) expensive, rural, small, in cold climates, and at the most liberal end of the political spectrum.

The big schools have so much to offer and there is something fun and interesting to do at all times. Joining a fraternity is an option as well. I will warn you that club lax is what you and the rest of the team members make of it. My son played at a good hs in a good conf and he is pretty sure his hs team could pound his college club team. That said, it is fun and a good way to meet people and scratches the lacrosse itch. His team is very well organized (player coached/managed) and supported by the university. However, he has friends on other club teams and everything is a struggle and many have stopped playing. Best of luck with your decision.