Absolute garbage... Nice attempt at justifying cheating other kids. If you're SOOOO concerned about academics and job opportunities go D3. If you have decent grades and can play, you'll get way more money than the average D1 kid. Also, you'll have the time to do internships and all the rest. Oh yeah, sit with a D3 coach and ask them how many of their seniors have jobs?? You'll be amazed... And if your kid is so smart, there are schools that rival the Ivys in academic prestige... Nice try, not buying your BS.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
If you hold back a child in the 9th grade (repeats 9th grade) and that student is in advanced/honors courses, you may benefit by taking college courses in your Jr & Sr years of HS. This allows you to garner college credits prior to enrollment, which will also gives you a leg up on the general population of your college grad year peers.

Then if you are a qualified college student (not in an ivy league school) you could have a grad year under your belt in your last playing year of college.

Which works to your benefit, because you can have your second grad year be your internship year. Becasue, dont be fooled, the work environment after college is definitely looking for those students with internships (especially for those students who are athletes that may not have been able to crack that 3.5 level due to their sports committments) so keep that all in mind.

If you dont believe me ask many of those LI boys who are home from school who played and cant find a job!

Because we all know the MLL teams do not pay like the other sports.

Remember if you would have known what you know now back in '98/'99, you may have planned things a bit differently.

Here is my final post on out of state kids and age. Primarily reffering to MD and
PA private school kids. My friend's son is rising sophomore at well known prep school near Philly which plays in that very well known highly recruited league down there. I will not name the school nor the kids. His son is age appropriate for his grade. I asked him what the deal was with holding kids back? He says it is an epidemic. Just this weekend he met the father of an incoming freshman to his son's school. This young man turned 15 in December of 2012. He will be 16 on the first day of Lacrosse as a freshman. He will be 19 and a half when he graduates. If he goes to Jake Reed next summer as a rising sophomore he will be competing against 14 year olds. If he has any ability, do we think he might standout? He also plays on a well known travel team at the 2017 level. Because thats the year he graduates. Now imagine this scenario playing out over and over. Sorry fellow Long Islanders we are be played.....

The only way around this for NY kids is to PG after high school or leave HS early for a prohibitively expensive (for most of us) private boarding school and "reclassify". Or just not worry about it and let your kids follow any path that presents itself in the current structure.

Pretty sure there is an age rule (at least in most pg states) that the player can't reach his 20th bday during the season of his sport or maybe turn 20 on or before aug 1st of that year. That's right, 20, not 19!! This is going to blow most minds but the big pg schools are in states with this age rule. Although this was most popular with hockey, it has now filtered down to lax. I'm just passing info along to try to inform parents interested with this topic.