Originally Posted by Anonymous
An 8th grader playing varsity is crazy. So there's no one within 4 years of that kid who can play. Must not have a good program if you have to rely on a 14 yr old playing with 18 yr olds. Shame on the AD.

It does not mean there is "No one" within 4 years of "that kid" who can play (there wouldnt be a team) It means, in his program, he can "run with the big boys" I know you will go on with "in the stronger lax towns"... bottom line these kids live where they live & were asked to play where they play. There is no need for anyone to get personal or "Shame on the AD". These kids were asked to play, took the physical & competed physically (as well as emotionally) with the older kids. Not one of the kids/parents have been on here boasting about them. The question was asked how the 8th graders were doing. IDK why you ADULTS feel the need to have to put them down.

No matter what you say about passing a physical/test to play, its common sense that there's a major risk when a kid who can't bench press his own weight (as only one measure of overall strength) is going up against defensemen who are benching 250-300. I am well aware that this is not football but theres a reason why upperclassmen and college players live in the weightroom - because it does make a huge difference in their competitiveness. 8th or 9th graders simply haven't had that time yet to build their bodies while the kids they are matching up with have. Its purely physics and such a mismatch is asking for trouble. The size and speed of these college bound upperclassmen is unbelievable if you ever get a chance to see them play up close from the sidelines. A serious injury to an 8th or 9th grader because of this mismatch could set the kid back 1 - 2 years. Worth it?

"Common sense" is... these 8th graders HAVE "seen" them up close (they've played with/against them all season) Thank you for your "concern" but, I can guarantee you the decision for the kids to play where they are was WELL thought out by the the coaches, the players, the parents, & the AD. Their size, ability, maturity was ALL taken into consideration.