Originally Posted by Anonymous

Posted this on another thread. Probably belongs over here.

KO is a great player. The points totals are not the whole story though. Last year's 100 goal scorer proves that. I don't think anyone would argue that CM should have been in the "best player in the game" argument last year. Now KO is different. She IS one of the best players in the game. But the point totals put up against a decent, but not great, schedule, should not be the only determinant.

Here is a breakdown. and yes this matters:

Stony Brook played 22 games. 12 of the games were against weaker opponents. Many ranked well down in the rankings. In those 12 games KO had 46 goals and 57 assists = 103 points = 8.6 points/game.

In the 10 games against tough opponents (including Albany twice which is a stretch), KO had 31 goals and 29 assists. Still very, very good numbers, but the average drops to 6 points a game split evenly between goals and assists.

Now, if you compare the "tough games" by SB to a Maryland, UNC or NU schedule, for examples, the game quality still does not measure up. So there is still one more level of difficulty in schedule that KO still didn't play.

But extrapolating the 6 points a game for KO to a full schedule somewhat more representative of the #4 team in the country, KO still puts up an amazing 132 points. 68 goals and 64 assists. Fantastic numbers by anyone's account, but not record-breaking and now much more debatable relative to the Tewaaraton.

Add-in a Maryland schedule adjustment factor of say .85 to that final total to account for what is still a schedule difficulty disparity, and you end up at 112 points. 58 goals and 54 assists.

So there you have it, KO is a great player. she benefits statistically a great deal by playing a weaker schedule than top players on other teams. Fact, not opinion.

HAHA, add in a .85 MD factor and call it Fact, not an opinion..you my friend are an idiot. Time to get a life

You aren't getting it. SB 10 hardest games extrapolated to 22 still wouldn't give them a Maryland strength of schedule. Guys like you have a tough time with statistics and facts. You like anecdotes and opinions. Fine. Here is a FACT. KO didn't win the Tewaaraton. Therefore, there is a committee of very knowledgable people that agreed that her all-time high point total was somehow not worthy of the award. There have been other very justifiable points made regarding her limited affect on other parts of the game, her poor ride (whoever said she would be a top defender is out of their mind) whatever. I chose to point out that very likely the committee was not as impressed were her point total given the very weak schedule she played, particularly given how strong her team is. The 4th ranked team in the country playing the 21st toughest schedule in a sport where after the top 15 or so teams there is a pretty big drop-off makes a difference. They played teams ranked so far down (UVM???) that it is almost embarrassing. And you will say that they are in their league, what are they supposed to do. I agree, but what you then do when you are evaluating her season-long performance, you adjust it to what it might look like if she played a schedule like other top 5 teams did. And that what was done here. And she doesn't win the Tewaaraton. Too bad.

If Trainer did not win it last year then no attacker ever should!!!
Dominated the draw in first year taking them!!! And, was best offensive player in ACC the toughest conference in the game

Now you are talking. Treanor is hands down better than KO. If someone wants to argue with that they have zero idea of what they are talking about. So you are correct, there is a biased towards the do-everything middie. I'm fine with that. I agree, a great attacker is fun to watch, the best middie in the game is usually more valuable.