Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
Originally Posted by Anonymous
When the ball is on the ground a player is allowed to block/obstruct an opposing player from getting to the ball with the body, it's called boxing out and completely legal, the ref was wrong and a bad call.

Here's the rule, in its entirety:

q. Detaining: Detaining an opponent at any time by holding or pushing against her body, clothing or crosse with an arm, leg, body or crosse. A player may not hold her crosse in such a manner as to restrain or hold back a player.

You have the wrong sport for "boxing out". That's basketball.

I didn't see the play in question, but there is a difference between "pushing against her body" and just getting in the way. I'm sure you've seen a ball rolling out of bounds and a girl from the team who will get possession blocking a girl from the team it is going out on from getting it. Was there a foul called then? "Boxing out" is allowed if you don't initiate the contact and "push back."

I understand your situation and they (officials) have let that go but could call it if they wanted to. The Navy player was off the ball when she interfered with the BC player. It was the correct call.