Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quit the whining, lacrosse used to become America's Game, now it's the Crying Game. Hold back this, hold back that. My God, every sport in the US has "hold backs", football has 22 year old Sophomores, no one crying in football or basketball, two sports where physical size matters. You guys are real pu$$ies. If the dads [lacrosse] and moan like this I can only imagine what the kids are like.

Easy there Francis.We are talking Youth Lacrosse.. Every Youth sport doesnt have holdbacks.. Most go by age?? But somehow Lacrosse has grade base without any age restrictions?? Yea that is the intent of youth sports! Hialrious

Agreed - once you get to 9th grade, the hold back discussion falls away, and even mentioning it with regards to college is ridiculous! BUT, for 8th grade and down, lacrosse is legitimately ridiculed for both the hold back practices that many teams engage in as well as the overall gaming of the system that goes on as a result, and it all stems from the grade-based model. In the larger scheme of things, organized youth lacrosse in much less mature than many other sports, and those more mature sports have all gone through this and moved to an age-based system in order to counteract the negative consequences of non-age based systems. Rather than supporting the 'immature' practice, we should learn from the more mature sports and realize that age-based teams are the way the sport should go. There is absolutely nothing unique about the sport of lacrosse that suggests it should not mature in its approach and move in the same direction as other sports already have. Further, there is nothing adverse in doing so, other than the fact that so many programs and teams are operating under a flawed system today - such thinking is ignorant and, in the end, will prevent lacrosse from growing to what it could be.

i don't see it as ridiculous to mention holdbacks when speaking on the collage basis. What i do think is ridiculous is a 24 year old undergrad. graduating at 23 you should at least have a masters

It might be a ridiculous circumstance, but it means little to nothing with regards to performance on the field, so in regards to subject at hand, not relevant.