Originally Posted by Anonymous
As someone who was in your shoes send him with your town JV team. My 2019 son played with JV team in fall 2 years ago, ended up starting on his JV team as an 8th grader, then played varsity as a freshman.

If he can make the size/speed adjustment, you will see a quantum leap in his game this season. He must also pass the dopey physical skills test come spring, but I say go for it as middle school lacrosse is practically unwatchable.

No one is watching local 8th grade fall tournaments, don't let your club guilt you. He has a better chance of being seen with the older kids.
That is what I was thinking. He is a big boy, so he will match up size wise, and has been doing well playing with them so far.

A couple of things. Is he a potential early recruiting kid? Is he on any D1 radar yet? Is the travel tournament one where he could be seen? If the answer to the first question is no, then play with JV. If it's yes to all three, then play travel. Again, if not early recruiting kid, play with JV. Playing up made my son better in 8th and 9th grade. When he went back to playing on age with travel, he looked like a superstar. He committed to a good D1 program in the early part of 10th grade.
He isn't on anyone's radar as far as I know. He hasn't been picked up by Blaze or Igloo, so I would guess he would have to develop more to be a D1 prospect. He was a backup on his team and is now a starter, and the Varsity coach is really eager to get him into JV to have him ready to play as a Freshman. Thanks for the feedback, I will have to see about the tournament. The JV tournament is at Stony Brook, so I don't think that it is a recruiting one.

Been there done that. If varsity coach is interested in bringing him up do what you can when you can. Fall/Winter extras just do it. Not to be a kiss [lacrosse] but so your kid get used to the other kids.

But make sure you guys (Coach/Player/parent/AD) are on the same page. Many mis-communications can happen and turn things soar on either your side or theirs. Communication is key.

I am not sure it makes a difference if an early recruiting kid or not. It does however make a difference if you are on one of the top teams in your age and if you are going to recruiting tournaments. You cant miss practice or mis a tournamnet.

High school games and practice always comes first.

Good luck to you, it was a great experience for my son, sure he learned a lot of things before his time but he took it all in stride. Just please know going in JV isnt a be all end all, it is very frustrating (coaching isnt always great refs stink) Depending on the town JV is an extension of PAL dont think it is a majic bullet to amazing play. but enjoy it and make sure it is fun because it is a longer grind than he will be use to both mentally and physically.

PS - big boy meaning what - IMHO if young (MS) gotta be 170lb or above!