Originally Posted by Anonymous
There are countless studies that support this. Not only as adults but also as kids there are self-esteem issues and many other long term issues that result. An older kid looks and acts different compared to younger kids in his grade. Also you are telling your kid he can't compete with kids his own age. The mind is very complicated. The seeds you plant indirectly by holding back are harmful. Find this study below and go on the internet and search some of these terms and you will see holding back results in many problems.

2003 "Position Statement on Student Grade Retention," the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)concluded:

* Academic achievement of kids who are retained is poorer than that of peers who are promoted.
* Achievement gains associated with retention fade within two to three years after the grade repeated.
* Retention often is associated with increased behavior problems.
* Grade retention has a negative impact on all areas of a child's achievement (reading, math, and language) and socio-emotional adjustment (peer relationships, self-esteem, problem behaviors, and attendance).

Each parent has to make choices that are best for their own kid. The question is most parents have no clue on what is best and listen to a lacrosse coach instead of doctors and school professionals when they hold a kid back. Holding back a kid may make a kid stand out more on the lacrosse field but it comes with a price. Hold backs or kids that are reclassified for sports based on studies have a higher rate of psychological problems as adults and are less successful. They may get instant rewards by making a better college but that benefit according to studies is short lived as the kid gets older and has to deal with real life issues. Also the college they get into as a holdback may be upgraded had they not been held back but the major they are forced to take is almost always useless. There are no short cuts in life. In fact short cuts most of the time will backfire.

There are no studies to support that statement. You just made that up. Nice try.

And that study had to do with disadvantaged inner city students. Again show me the study that shows hold back lacrosse players suffering from these things. The vast majority of lacrosse players are upper middle class or wealthy. Sorry but the rich kid hold back doesn't suffer from your BS. Just accept the fact that hold backs are there and move on. No hold back has ever had an impact on my son. As a matter of fact I don't know a single holdback and I live in one of the largest public school districts in Long Island. Where are these hold backs?