Originally Posted by Anonymous
I agree if your kid only plays a few minutes and it's not even in every game why put him on the team unless of course politics take place as usual. I'm sure it happens everywhere. The test should be done in one place I agree. SOme of these kids haven't even reached puberty yet and I'm sure they look it. Why put your kid out there if he is not ready. Did the coaches or the parent's even think about the chances of them getting hurt..Ego's by the parents not the kids. That's the shame of it. You can tell which ones belong and which ones don't

You know the statement of [i][b]plays only a few minutes
holds true for travel teams. Why are you on a team if your son is not playing. Why get upset about his time because you paid thousands, I get it, but were you foolish to think otherwise. Instead work hard with him or put him on a different team. Find a team where he is a leader and playing a great portion of the time. Don't you owe that to him.

I am sick of hearing the bitching the excuses. Sure each team needs subs or 2nd/3rd line middies but if you are not seeing playing time maybe double check your son's skill and ability before you blame politics maybe take a little self reflection. Does pride get the way so much that you will make or son suffer on a team he doesn't belong on.

It is earlier in the season be a good parent.

Another weekend will go by, make sure your child plays their fair share. If not OPEN YOUR EYES, and get him somewhere he will play and not just be a cheerleader. Sometimes it is not your child, it is the politics; other times you need to see where he fits within the group.

And where would you go at this point if you don't like your kids playing time? Tryouts for all the travel clubs were last Fall and the team you are on has your $$$. What are the realistic otions to someone in that boat at this point?

I am not sure the best life lesson in a situation like this, Struggle through with no avail or politely quit. It all depends on the situation and child. But please do what is best for your child. There are always a few options.

Speak with your coach. Find out what can be done. Be open minded. Does your organization have another team where he can develop more get more playing time. Ask to move down.
Go to clinics and work with your child. Just work hard at practice with a positive attitude this is cyclical circuit and word gets around on who is a hard worker and who is a brat.

Remember most are now 13, no more saying they are only 9, 10, or 11. Showing them how to be good young men starts now.