Originally Posted by Anonymous
thought this was interesting. Had to fill-in online waiver for young guns and had to acknowledge below -

As parent/guardian, of this player, I am attesting that my son is registered in the correct division for this tournament. Realizing players may play up, but never down, I understand that my team will forfeit all games and be barred from championship round should there be an eligibility violation. The Tournament Director has not, and will not, make exceptions for players or programs attending Crab Feast and Young Guns.

2020 - If your son was in the 9th grade this spring 2016 and is repeating/reclassifying for 9th grade fall 2016, he is NOT eligible to play 2020 division.

Notice Crab daddy did not say anything about 8th graders this spring repeating 8th in the fall 2016 would not be eligible for 2020. If he did, half of his team would be ineligible.

The grade to holdback is 8th grade. At several schools including Maryland publics and in private leagues like MIAA a kid can only participate in high school sports 4 years. That's why the bursar's office at MIAA and IAC schools are so happy to see full paying lacrosee families walk through their doors.

Writing a rule to say kids aren't eligible for a 2020 team if they were in 9th grade last year is moot. It's the ultimate Trojan Horse that Baltimore parents use as a crutch around it. Just because kids are sneaking in the back door doesn't mean people don't notice. How about an AGE cutoff? If a kid is a year old for his grade he has to play up. Where are all the tough guys when that is suggested? Hiding in their team tents at Boys' Latin it seems. Phony tough.

Age Cutoff?? Not in Maryland with the MIAA influence! Before the lowlifes at Howard County Recreation started their grade base league, the holdback/reclass/prefirst issue was mainly an issue and secret in the Private school leagues. No one cared in the youth club and rec leagues. All the private MIAA schools did it to some degree so no big deal as MIAA school team competed against school team. Now with the youth club world exploding and Crabs, etc looking for a edge. I see the holdback/reclass/prefirst issue getting more players as many parents want the edge for their children. Not sure why Lacrosse
wants to go down this unsavory path as it sure is not in the spirit of youth sports.